Now that you’ve booked your session, one of the next things on your mind is probably, “What are we going to wear?!”
I know how stressful it can be picking out outfits for your session, and this guide is meant to help to inspire you and provide you with some tips and tricks so that you can look & feel your best! But keep in mind that it is not an exact formula of what you absolutely HAVE to wear; that part is still totally up to you!
A few important things to keep in mind are keep your outfit choices clean, simple, relaxed and comfortable.
OKAY! So are you ready to dive into some tips & tricks? Here we go…
6 BASIC TIPS TO START:
- Your goal should be to coordinate NOT match!
- Select one patterned item (shirt, dress, act.) for one person and then use that item to create your color palate. Use that color palate to choose clothing for you (and/or everyone else).
- Next, look for solid colors! They almost always photograph well and there’s no risk of your outfits distracting from the truly important part of the photos…YOU! Okay, so now that we’ve established that solid colors are usually a safe bet here’s a few more tips to keep in mind…
- Neutral + earthy solid colors such as soft pinks, creams, tans, muted blues + soft greens tend to photograph well!
- Neon colors, large logos, and loud patterns DO NOT photograph well.
- Use layers + different fabric textures to create unique coordinating outfits!
- Wear things that you would naturally choose to wear and are comfortable in. Make sure you incorporate your personal style!
- Wear something that suits the location of your session! For example: if you chose to have your session at the beach, make sure you don’t wear heals that will sink into the sand. Or if you chose to have an adventure session on a hiking trail, make sure you are wearing something that you can easily hike in + shoes that will be comfortable!
A FEW EXTRA TIPS FOR WOMEN:
- Look for an outfit made from soft, natural fabrics that drape and flow. These kinds of fabrics make for beautiful + graceful portraits and allow for a sense of motion within your photos. Dresses + skirts tend to photograph really well.
- Stick with styles that are timeless + classic! You want to be able to admire + display these photos for years to come so aim for looks that have stood the test of time!
- Try to avoid short and/or tight dresses, skirts, and shirts because chances are you will constantly be pulling them down or worrying about it during your session instead of being able to enjoy + fully engage in your session!
- Use accessories to showcase your personality! Do you have a go to necklace or pair of earrings? Wear them! Do you like to wear a hat? Bring it!
- Be careful with your shoe choice! If you find the perfect pair of heels, but your session requires a hike, make sure you bring a pair of comfy walking shoes to change into so you don’t have to worry about hiking in heels!
A FEW EXTRA TIPS FOR MEN:
- For guys, it’s best to be a little overdressed! A nice shirt, pants with a belt, and nice shoes will go a long way!
- Avoid baggy jeans, unfitted shirts, polos, running shoes, and t-shirts with large logos. While these may be comfy, these all tend to be pretty unflattering in photographs.
- Go for more fitted clothes + muted colors (earth tones, pastels, blacks).
- Aim for layers + textures. A t-shirt by itself is a little too casual, but through a nice jeans or leather jacket on-top and you’re good to go!
- Do you want to get a fresh haircut? Go for it! Just make sure you do it at least 4 days in advance so it has time to look a little more natural + blended for your session!
- Use accessories to showcase your personality + style! Do you have a nice watch you like to wear? Wear it!
A FEW EXTRA TIPS FOR KIDS:
- Choose clothing that your child likes to wear and is comfortable in. If you have a specific look or outfit in mind aren’t used to wearing, buy it in advance and have them wear it a few times before your session so that they can get used to it!
- Utilize the same tips above for women and men when styling your little girls and boys!
A FEW EXAMPLES OF WHERE TO SHOP:
Small Businesses & Shops:
- For Women: Fern + Co, Adored Vintage, Kepola Design House, Made by Mary, Little Cottonwood
- For Kids + Babies: Knotted Fern, Rylee + Cru, Little Cottonwood
- For Women: H&M, Old Navy, J. Crew, Forever 21, Target, Amazon, Everlane
- For Men: J. Crew, Zara, Gap, H&M, Target, Hurley, Amazon, Patagonia, Vans, American Eagle
- For Kids + Babies: Zara, H&M Kids, Target, Baby Gap, Old Navy, Amazon